Tuesday, April 29, 2008

13th Macau Myanmar Overseas Chinese Water Festival

The ‘Thingyan’ Water Festival – in which participants splash water over each other to attract good fortune and cast out bad luck – is one of the most significant annual events in the Myanmar calendar. It is also believed that the aater festival washes away sins. With an increasing number of Myanmar people residing in Macau, this age-old tradition has become popular practice here as well.

In celebration of the 13th Macau Myanmar Overseas Chinese Water Festival, a series of programmes will be held over a period of four days, with the annual carnival and festooned vehicle parade eagerly anticipated. Food stalls featuring classical South East Asian cuisine are another attraction of the festival, as are the numerous cultural shows that draw locals and visitors alike to the old Three Lamps District.

Festooned Vehicle Parade: 26 & 27 Apr / 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. / Macau, Taipa & Coloane(Starting point: In front of Hotline Centre, Alameda Dr. Carlos d'Assumpção, No. 335-341)Myanmar & South East Asia Delicacy & Cultural Festival: 26 Apr / Noon to 10:30 p.m. (Traditional Song & Dance Gala is held at 8:00 p.m.) / Three Lamps District (Rotunda de Carlos da Maia)
Water Festival Carnival: 27 Apr / 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. / Hác Sá Park, Coloane
Macau Myanmar Overseas Chinese Water Festival Photographs Exhibition: 25 to 28 Apr / 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. / Tourism Activities Centre, Rua de Luis Gonzaga Gom.

Too bad I wasn't able to participate or even watch this event. Hhmm... I really wish I had known this sooner, well there may be other events coming up so I'll just stay tuned... :)

"Live life to the fullest"

1 Reactions:

almariada said...

Hello!

I want to tell you I have a link in my blog to this post in my post "restrições da China" for the words "festival da água". Thank you for the information! I'd like to go there to and wash my sins! :)

I wish you all the best!

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...